Thursday 15 January 2015

Names in Print

One of the things I do to keep the grey matter occupied is to do occasional voluntary work with a service user/carer group at the University of Central Lancashire in Preston (UCLan).  I've been doing it now for a few years and recently I volunteered to do some work with one of the senior lectures in Social Work at the uni.  To tell the truth, she asked everyone and I was the only person who held their hand up.

The lecturer is writing a book for student social workers and she wanted some input from a service user or carer, and that was me.

What an invigorating experience it was.  I have done a bit of writing in the past, but only for my own pleasure, though a couple of things have been published. Anyway, this had to be right.  Not enough to express a glib impression or half thought out idea.  This needed to be thoughtfully written and absolutely spot on in terms of grammar etc.  So, today the final version of the chapter I have been working on is being put together, and it was such a pleasant surprise to see my name in print at the top of the chapter, along with the lecturer.  

Feels good.  Might consider doing a bit more if I am asked.

Now I need to get back to finishing off writing the book I've been working on for some months.  I've finished the actual 'story', now I need to re-read and edit it, and that so far, is proving almost as hard as the original writing was.

I've got 165,000 words on paper so far, and can't see there being many more.  Back to the grindstone!!

No comments: