Monday 25 January 2021

John Browns Body 3

 

We laid the coffin down alongside John’s body and unfastened the zip all the way down to the bottom.  I looked at Dickie and then Alan.  “Well one of you is going to have to help me get him in here” I said, indicating the coffin.  Dickie made a move to Johns side and took hold of his arm to bend it back towards the side of his body.  It refused to move.  He glanced up at me.  “Oh bugger” he said, “It’s rigor mortis isn’t it ?”  I reached down and took hold of his other arm and tried to bend it.  There was an instant when the arm moved for a fraction of an inch, then it held firm.  The flesh was cold, and covered in a thin layer of snow from the previous night.  I let his arm fall to the grass and thought foramoment. “Don’t think it is rigor mortis alone, I think he is frozen stiff.  He’s been here a good few hours and it’s been bloody cold all day, let alone last night.  He must be frozen solid.”  I said.  The other two stood looking at the body not wishing to make a decision or judgement on our course of action.  A wicked thought went through my mind.  I looked at Dickie and winked, then looked sideways at Alan, our young new recruit.  


“Only one thing for it “ I said.  “Going to have to break his arms to get them by his side so we can get him in the coffin.” Alan looked alarmed and stuttered.  “We can’t do that can we?” he asked. “How will it look when his family come for him and he has two broken arms?”  He was obviously concerned, and lacking in experience, guile and the finer points of the 1861 Ways and Means Act.  This little known act of Parliament, amended by the Smart Arse Act of 1960, enables the Police to sort out seemingly intractable and insoluble problems without resorting to certain niceties or conventions, like due respect for dead bodies where the said dead body is creating a bloody nuisance and stopping the officer concerned from getting back to the nick for a warm brewand something to eat when they have been on the freezing cold moor for what was now approaching three long bloody hours.  I was not amused, nor was I in any mood to stay up there in the cold any longer than I really had to.

“Dickie” I said quietly, “Grip his arm and bend it to his side.”  For once Dickie did as he had been told.  He took hold of the arm on his side and gently eased it from the horizontal to lie alongside his trunk.  I repeated the same action with the arm on my side, and between the three us we managed to get John’s body into the canvas coffin.  Standing with one foot straddling either side of the coffin, Alan held the two arms down inside the coffin as Dickie and I tugged away at the zip until we had managed to pull it all the way down from the top to the bottom of the bag.  John was now all sewn up, so to speak.

With the coffin lying in the spikey grass between us we stood and stretched our backs for a moment and caught our breath. I glanced from one to the other.  “Are we fit then?” I asked.  Dickie nodded, still gasping for breath from his exertions, Alan nodded too, a little grim faced I thought.  “Take a hold of a handle and lets get him back to the Rover” I said.  Six handles were on the coffin for a very good and logical purpose.  A dead body is a dead weight, that’s how the phrase came into being.  Six handles presumes six people are going to be used to transport the stiff from where it had been found to where ever it was going, not three.  Now, believe me, with the best will in the world, unless you are an Olympic class weight lifter you arenot going to be able to carry a dead body in a canvas coffin across a stretch of black icy hummocky grass in the mid evening in winter in the north of England without having the right number of people to carry out the task.  It is not going to happen.  But it had to, we had to get the body the twenty yards from where he had decided to lay himself down, or where someone else had decided to lay him down, and into the Land Rover so that we could transport him from the freezing cold moor to the freezing cold mortuary at Birch Hill Hospital at Littleborough.  

Dickie and Alan took one handle on either side whilst I took the handle at the back of the coffin, and we lifted.  The coffin immediately nosedived towards the grass.  We laid it down and I went to the front handle.  Again we lifted.  It taildived this time.  Dickie giggled.  “This isn’t going to be easy is it?” he said.  “No” I grunted as we tried lifting again.  No matter how we tried it the damn coffin insisted on diving into the earth from either the front or the rear, it seemed like we were trying to carry a see-saw down the moor.  We slid on the grass, we fell into puddles, we swore and slid some more, but eventually by the grace of whoever was up there watching us, we reached the rear door of the Land Rover.  We stoodthe coffin up on ‘it’s feet’ against the back door and stood to catch our breath and try to remove some of the peaty mud from our trousers which by now had lost any semblance of creases, and our overcoats which were now splattered in large brown stains from contact with the mud and grass.  “Lets have a fag” suggested Dickie.  “Yes,” I responded. There were the odd occasions when Dickie Night made good suggestions. “Then we get him in the back and off this bloody moor”.

We stood smoking away and gradually got our breath back.  Alan kept looking around him nervously at the dark moorland fields.  The only sounds were coming from the motorway, the only lights from the village in the distance.  Otherwise there was total moonless cloudy darkness.  We flicked our cigarette butts out into the moor and heard them hiss in the wet grass.  Dickie and I manoeuvred the coffin away from the door handle and Alan opened the door wide to allow us to access the rear compartment.  It was then immediately apparent that the compartment was not long enough to enable us to feed the coffin in lengthwise and flat on the floor of the vehicle.  There just was not enough length between the rear door and the back of the passenger anddrivers seats in the front of the vehicle.  He would have to go in cross ways, from bottom left to top right, slanting.  We eventually managed to get him into the back of the Land Rover. One person would go inside and tug at the head of the coffin and the others two would stand in the peaty puddle and push and shove him.  His head was in the top right hand corner of the compartment and his feet lodged securely against the bulkhead of the bottom left door stanchion.  There was a problem however, John Browns body insisted on trying to get out, or fall out of the back of the vehicle.  Frozen solid as he was there appeared to be some sign of life left in him yet.  “Dickie” I said, “You hold the bugger in and I’ll shut the door on him to jam him in.  OK?”  Dickie did as he was instructed and I managed to get the door closed against the coffin.  We now were faced with a second problem.  Two seats in the Land Rover and threepassengers. Dickie was the driver, and I was certainly not going to have anyone sat on my kneed whilst we struggled to get the Rover off the moor and to the hospital.  The seats just were not big enough. Alan looked from Dickie and myself and back agin.  “What?” he asked suspiciously.  “What?”  

“Is this the first dead body you have seen Alan” I asked.  “Yes, it is” he replied taking a great gulp of air.  “You’ll like him by the time we get to hospital.”  I said.  “Get in the back with the body.”  I jerked my head back toward the rear of the vehicle.  His young face creased like he suddenly knew he had filled his trousers with whatever he had eaten for his last meal.  Then realisation dawned and he slowly and very quietly slid his way to the back door.  I opened it and reached inside to stop the coffin falling out.  “In you get “ I said.  Quietly, ever so quietly, he climbed up onto the step and into the cramped compartment, clutching his arms tenderly around the coffin for support. Gently, ever so gently, I closedthedoor on the pair of them and got into the passenger seat.

“Get that bloody heater going Dickie” I said. “My balls are colder than a brass monkeys, and my stomach thinks my throat has been cut”.  Dickie fired up the engine, set the heater to blast setting and engaged first gear.  We jerked forward a foot and the engine stalled.  Dickie fired it up again.  We stalled again.  I looked sideways at him.  “Want me to have a go?” I asked.  He looked forward through the misty windscreen which the pathetic excuse for a heater in the Land Rover had failed miserably to clear.  With his freearm he leaned forward and with his gloved hand wiped the condensation from the screen.  “No, No it’s okay, I’ll be alright” he stuttered.  This was getting a bit beyond a joke.  

No comments: