Monday 25 January 2021

John Browns Body 6

 

As soon as we came onto the lighted road the world seemed a friendlier place.  My spirits lifted and I felt warmer although nothing inside the vehicle had changed.  There was still an icy cold body in the back with a slightly scared young copper, and we still had to get the pair of them unloaded and one of them stripped off and placed in a mortuary.  The thought sent a cold chill back up my spine.  No matter how to spelled it out, this was not going to be a pleasant evening.  Dickie started to hum a tuneless melody.  I looked sideways at him. “Pack it in” I pleaded.  “My life is shit enough as it is without having to put up with your singing.”  “What’s the problem Dave.  Lost your sense of humour?”  He grinned backatme. Isaid nothing but just kept looking ahead at the lights of buildings and cars travelling along the road towards us.  It was not going to be a happy night.

After a few moments the force radio set into the dashboard came to life.  “Papa Two Five” said the disembodied voice.  I picked up the handset and placed it close to my mouth. Pap Two Five was us.  “Papa Two Five receiving “ I said.  I recognised the voice on the other end from my days on Traffic patrol.  He was a very experience former Traffic officer who rejoiced under the name of Tommy Steele, the same name as an English pop singer from the 1960’s.  He was a guy you could trust to get the job right every time he spoke.  One of the really good guys who could combine humour with getting the job done.

“Papa Two Five,” he said.  “From your Sergeant at Littleborough.  You need to go to the Infirmary at Rochdale to have the body certified dead and then take it from there to the mortuary at Birch Hill.  Apparently there is no Accident and Emergency at Birch Hill so they will not have an appropriate doctor on duty.  Received Papa Two Five?”   I heard the message and sat quietly for a moment, trying hard to control the outburst of foul thoughts and language going through my head.  Birch Hill was a hospital, doctors and nurses worked there on a regular basis.  The reason why we were being diverted to the Infirmary at Rochdale was nothing to do with the fact there were no doctors available, it was all about some lazy idle doctor ondutyatBirch Hill not wanting to become involved with a sudden death and the complications he or she thought might be involved.  

I put the handset near to my mouth and keyed the transmit button.  As soon as this happens the radio is transmitting, whether or not the person holding the handset is saying anything.  What Tommy Steele was hearing was the noise of Land Rover engine and whatever noises were happening in the vehicle.  “Fucking lazy bastard doctors” I muttered into the handset.  Raising my voice to normal speech level I replied, “Papa Two Five, Roger.  Off to Rochdale Infirmary.  Out”.   There was a pause as Tommy keyed his handset.  “Roger that Papa Two Five.” Then the unmistakable sound of a very slight belch coming over the airwaves.  I grinned at Dickie who looked at me in astonishment.  “Was that what I thought itwas?”heasked. “You bet your sweet arse it was”  I replied.  “That was Tommy Steele agreeing with my sentiments”  

The drive to the infirmary took no more than fifteen minutes through the evening traffic, but it was still eight o’clock by the time we pulled into the Accident and Emergency yard at the hospital.  The wide glass doors of the department were closed but we could see nurses and doctors and patients moving around in the warmth inside.  It was still too early in the evening for the pub rush of drunken injuries to have arrived, so Dickie pulled the Rover to a halt right outside the main door.  Before he could turn off the engine the door of the emergency department opened and a young thin male coloured doctor in a white coat came bustling out.  As I climbed out of the Rover he came to me.  “Where do you want him doctor?” I asked.  He lookedatmyquizzically.  “Oh, “ he said, “No need to get him out.  I will have a look at him in the back.”  and he started to walk to the rear door of the Rover, which opened just as he was about to place his hand on the door handle. “Oh my God” he yelped and jumped back a yard or more.  Alan climbed painfully from the rear of the vehicle.  “That bloody thing is the most uncomfortable fucking car I have ever been in “ he said.  “Doesn’t help have a coffin in their either”.   The doctor breathed a long deep sigh of relief at the sight of Alan.  He looked into the dark rear compartment and then turned round to look at me.  “There is no need to get him out, “he said.  “I will examine him in there so you can take him straight to the mortuary.  Your Sergeant has explained everything to me.”  

I held the door open whilst he climbed into the back with some difficulty.  The tails of his white coat kept tangling around his legs and the stethoscope around his neck threatened to fall off onto the floor or to strangle him.  He held onto the instrument with one hand and using the other started to pull himself into the darkened space.  I placed my hand against the small of his back and between the two of us pushing, shoving and heaving he managed to get into the back.  It was very dark so I shone Alan’s torch into the back and illuminated the coffin still wedged firmly from top to bottom of the compartment.  I could see that he was having difficulty working out how to get to actually examine his patient, so I climbed into the back with him. It was cosy in there, just the three of us.


He looked closely at the coffin trying to work out how to get inside it to view the body.  I let him struggle for a few seconds then my better nature took over and I pulled the zip from the top of the coffin until it was half way down, and John could clearly be seen.  I felt rather than heard his intake of breath.  “My my, “ he said.  “He does look dead doesn’t he?” He asked.  I nodded from behind and to the side of the doctor.  “Just a bit” I replied quietly.  The doctor took the stethoscope from around his neck and started to place it on John’s chest, then he hesitated for a second.  “I don’t think this is necessary really is it officer?” he asked.  I made no reply.  Whatever he did, he would have to justify in a Coroner's Court.  I was simply the person presenting the body to him for examination.  He was the one having spent years at an expensive university to earn the privileged of wearing a white coat.  Very gently he placed two fingers against the place on John’s neck where the carotid artery should have been pushing blood around his body.  He left it there for two or three seconds, then turned to me.  “I can confirm that his man is dead officer” he said gently.  “Thank you doctor”  I replied.

I pulled up the zip on the coffin and backed out of the Rover.  As my feet touched the floor I turned to help the young doctor from the back.  He thanked me quietly and asked, “Is there anything else you need from me officer?”  “Not at this stage thank you doctor.  I will be in touch at some point for a statement.”  He turned away and walked quietly back into the lights of the Emergency department.

So now we had a body which was officially dead according to the requirements of the law.  So now we had to take it off to the mortuary at Birch Hill Hospital.

I turned to Dickie.  “Come on Dickie.  Back up the hill to Littleborough we go.” I said.  
“Oh, “ he said.  “I am finishing my shift now.  I spoke to the sergeant before we came out and I’ve got some time off.    I’ll drive you back to Littleborough nick and then you have to take the body to the mortuary.”    

“Dickie Night” I thought.  You really are a first class skiving bastard.  I climbed back into the passenger seat of the Land Rover.  “Lets get back there before I blow” I said quietly.  Dickie fired up the engine and we drove in total silence back to the Police station at Littleborough.



No comments: